Its been a while but…

July 5th, 2014

It has been a while since I really built anything. I’ve played with a number of things, but haven’t finished anything. I recently joined both PuppetSmith and the San Francisco Bay Area Puppeteers Guild, and finally feel motivated to finish.

In May, I joined a workshop lead by Mary Nagler through SFBAPG, we were provided basic materials and we assembled arm rods, glued a gasket mouth plate, and formed wire hands. We also had another workshop with hands on practice in front of a monitor really puppeteering. While I couldn’t make it to beyond the sock. This was really fun and a great learning experience. I really got to see and experience the value of Arm rods, and really did what I’ve seen on Youtube. In addition I’d never worked with Gasket rubber and see what you can do with a puppet’s expressions.

Inspired by the workshop I was going to make some more puppets. I built a wood form similar to what I used in the workshop, and made some hands.

pworkhands

This form is great and makes shaping the wire for Project puppet hand patterns easy.

I got out my patterns the Project Puppet mellon head, the Puppetsmith little guy, and James Kemp’s human head patterns.

pworkpatterns

After the first day, I had all the pieces of foam, fleece, and fur cut.

pworkprogress

After a few more nights, I had the foam glued, most of the sewing complete, arm rods, and more done. While in progress I agreed to do an Evil frog for my son. Below you can see the progress on the little guy in the green/frosted fur, Mss Fox using James’s human head pattern, the evil frog using the glorified sock puppet and alternate body pattern, the pink furry monster, and my puppet still missing details from Mary’s workshop.

pworkprogress

 

Well, making progress more to come.